Friday, January 6, 2012

The Curse of Karma

Probably most of us heard about this game called dominoes. Where you placed or arranged the tiles according to numbers. There are few games can be played through this domino tiles but I’m not here to teach about how it is played, if u insisted, then I would suggest that you take a tour to toys ‘r’ us to get the tiles where it comes with the manual instructions.

From where I grew up, this domino game is called ‘batu lacak’. My dad used to play this in the late afternoon with his friend when he’s old.. just to kill time. Just like most mothers like to hang around each other in the afternoon discussing about their families, television programmes or turn of events.

To some people, it is just a matter of arranging the tiles that makes the game monotonous and boring because it is based solely on luck or what tiles you get in hands, but to those who mastered it, is about winning the rally and controlling the games and the opponents.

This game is very popular to my siblings recently, the source of the chaotic relationships, numerous laughter, numerous fighting and drama in real life. Ok, let me rephrase, it is popular among the female siblings, where the male ones normally join in when there is a spot or opening.. except me, I am always invited to join in for the opening act.. now I’m confused of my gender already. Duhhh! The one we had have 28 tiles that allow 4 players in any game. The contender would normally be Jijah (my eldest sister), Roy (my second sister), Ina (the youngest among all sisters, Misi (my sister in-law) or Me (The Soul Sister.. hahaha), there would be some on the sides like Erin, Efa and Nelly (they are my nieces) and Lan (my brother), so you see how the female dominating the games in my family even though we have the equal amount of both genders?

This game can be fun if everybody doesn’t get too worked up by the results or have the feeling of rising above the others. Take Ina for instance, she won’t admit defeat as the lack of her ability or lady luck didn’t smile upon her at that point of time. She would take it personally that we are either sabotaging her, or the people next to her didn’t know how to control the game and as a result, storming out of the game and say mostly unpleasant things especially to Jijah – her rival of all time, being in or out of the games. As for Jijah, mocking or provoking is her middle name. If you don’t want to play, she’ll provoke you as being a loser or even, walk you down the guilt trip of how you ill-treated your family members compared to your friends or stuffs like that.

As for Roy, when she’s in the game, she could stay up for hours and insist that everybody not to step out of the game even if it means sacrificing your beauty sleep! And it always amazes me on how she could stay energetic without sleep for a couple of days just for the thought of playing dominoes (the only time they stop is when they are doing the daily chores, like clean up the house, cooking, eating and such)! Crazy huh?! So you imagine the hardship that the rest had to go through, just to keep up with that. Bailing out means defeat, and defeat means have to swallow the pride of being a loser! Sadistic eh?!

As for Misi, she is the tag along player.. you play mean she plays, if you didn’t then she’s also ok with it. Perhaps she can be defined as ‘a no heart’ player then. But she get the most lenient conditions as to play or not, because she runs the stall and still have a small girl to attend to. So anytime she needs to bail from the game, Lan or the rest can always jump in for her.

Me? I am always the neutral one.. the best of all. What else can I say? That is really me and furthermore this is my blog.. of course I could be the Hero right?

Anyway, there’s always a good and bad that can come out of this game, I shed some bad things about it, but to sum up the whole thing, I could say that it is the one that makes us happy. Just to be around the family members.. gathered at that table, making plans, bonded and united. You maybe don’t get or see it, but as one of them, I get to feel it.



My sisters, the hardcore player.. from left - Jijah, Ina (at the far end), Roy, the one with the hands on the head, and the nearest is Misi.

No comments: